Double Chocolate Pancake Recipe with caramelised bananas
A delicious way to start the weekend. The ultimate combination of chocolate and banana. And it is gluten-free and vegan too!
For the pancakes
1 packet Stacks of Goodness Double Chocolate Protein Pancake Mix 200g
1 mashed banana
1 flax or chia egg or 1 egg
250ml cashew or alternative milk
For the caramelised banana
1 1/2 large bananas, cut into slices
1.5 tbsp dairy-free butter or coconut oil
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
For the chocolate sauce
80g dark chocolate, cut into chunks
1 tbsp coconut oil
For the whipped coconut cream
1 tin full-fat coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla paste
To serve: chocolate shavings and a drizzle of maple syrup (optional)
1) Start by making your coconut cream. Scoop the ‘cream’ from the top of your chilled coconut milk tin, saving the liquid to use in smoothies or milkshakes. Using an electric whisk, beat the coconut cream with the vanilla and maple syrup, adjusting the taste and sweetness as desired. Set aside.
2) Next, make your bananas. Gently melt the butter or coconut oil in a frying pan. Once melted, add in the bananas and fry on a low to medium heat for a minute or two, until softened. Add in the coconut sugar and cinnamon, give a good stir and heat for another minute or so, or until the bananas begin to caramelise. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3) Now, you can make your chocolate sauce! In a main bare, gently melt together the chocolate and coconut oil, stirring until smooth and lump-free. Remove from the heat and set aside somewhere warm.
4) Make your pancakes by whisking together the chia egg / egg and milk. Heat your frying pan on a medium heat and add a little butter or coconut oil.
5) Stir or whisk together the pancake mix, the mashed banana and the milk mixture until combined - add a splash more milk if the mixture seems a little thick, but remember that we are making fluffy American pancakes!
6) Using a tablespoon, pour the mixture into your warm pan (I used a pancake ring with two tablespoons of mixture per pancake) to create small circles. Flip once the bubble start to appear, cooking on the second side until brown.
7) Serve your pancakes in stacks with the caramelised banana slices sandwiching each pancake. Top with coconut cream and drizzle over the chocolate sauce. Enjoy!
For more great ideas from Sam check out: The Nourished Naturally.